Made with fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic, and basil this Bruschetta Pasta with Shrimp is a perfect pasta recipe that is the perfect dish for the spring. To add some flavor, just sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil.
One of the biggest weaknesses I have is my love for pasta. There isn’t a pasta dish I don’t like. I don’t know if this makes sense to any of you, but I just think pasta is fun to eat. I particularly love pasta with simple ingredients. You know, with a little garlic, butter, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, and it’s like heaven to me. This Bruschetta Pasta has all of those elements a bit more.
I am not sure exactly where this recipe came from in my mind because I am not the biggest fan of tomatoes. Yep, you heard me right. You will never catch me eating a raw tomato. I want to like them, I just don’t But I do enjoy salsa and, on occasion, bruschetta. I especially enjoy bruschetta on a crisp crostini and that is nothing but tomatoes. I know, it’s weird. But there is nothing weird about this pasta dish.
What is Bruschetta?
Traditionally Bruschetta is made with garlic, chopped fresh tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. It is then served on top of a grilled and crisp baguette. It is the perfect spring appetizer. It’s perfect for baby showers, bridal parties, and dinner parties. I’ve only been to a few places where they served the Bruschetta just right. Now, take that concept and transform it into a pasta dish in your mind and add shrimp!
When making this Bruschetta Pasta dish, you can use whatever type of tomatoes you like. I am not a tomato person so I used the tomatoes on the vine. They seemed plump and perfectly red at the grocery store so I felt I was making a good choice but to each its own. I used about four medium-sized tomatoes and that was good for me, but if you really like tomatoes I don’t think there is anything wrong with adding more once the dish is together if you like.
You’ll also add some garlic, basil, red onion, lemon, and red wine vinegar and you have a delicious pasta dish that will have you craving.
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lb. 16/30 Large Shrimp, raw, peeled, and deveined
- ½ c. red onion, chopped
- 4 whole medium tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 8 oz. Bucatini Pasta
- 1 ½ tbsp. Basil. Chopped
- ½ lemon squeezed
- 1 ½ tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. Red Crushed Pepper Flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and add about a tablespoon of salt to the water and bring it to a boil. Add the Bucatini pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and reserve one cup of the pasta water and return the pasta back to the pot. Add the pasta water back in with the pasta so it doesn’t dry out. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp to the pan and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Allow to cook on both sides for 3-5 minutes, just until pink, and flip on the other side to cook. Remove the shrimp from the pan and place it in a separate bowl off to the side.
- Using the same pan, add the red onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir and mix the veggies together.
- Using tongs, add the pasta to the veggies and toss them together to distribute evenly. Add the butter and allow it to melt with the pasta. Add the chopped basil and toss. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and red crushed pepper flakes. Finally, add back in the shrimp, add the lemon juice, and red wine vinegar, and give it a final toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a little more basil.
- Category: Pasta
The post Bruschetta Pasta with Shrimp appeared first on Brown Sugar Food Blog.