Using no white flour, eggs, or butter, these “Skinny Girl” cookies are a great sweet treat to satisfy your sweet tooth craving without all the extra ingredients that stick to your thighs.
Okay, okay, okay. I know you are probably sick of my heart-stopping, hips loving, and gut adding dishes. Sure you can always make changes and try to make some of my dishes healthy, but who would want to do that, right? I guess it’s time for me to introduce you all to the healthier side of me. Back in 2012, I lost 30 pounds by changing my eating habits and regular exercise. Recently, I gained a few of those pounds back from giving birth to Alicia, but now I am back on it with getting my healthy lifestyle back in order.
Part of my lifestyle change is to decrease the amount of sugar I consume. No, I’m not going to suddenly become a healthy food blogger. I believe everything in moderation is the way to go. But, I do want to make some of the treats I love by using healthier ingredients. These Skinny Girl cookies (basically, Healthy Oatmeal Cookies) are just the treat I need to get me through those tough moments where you just need a healthy sweet treat to take the edge off.
What are the ingredients in these healthy cookies?
I will tell you, these cookies do have sugar (brown sugar). But the rest of the ingredients are very fibrous and great for the body. Overall, these cookies contain some pretty “normal” ingredients such as:
- Spelt Flour
- Canola Oil
- Quick Oats
- Wheat Germ
You can definitely add some extras like a tablespoon of chia seeds, flaxseed powder, or sugar free chocolate chips. You could also add a half cup of nuts if you want. Whatever you want to add would be fine.
Can I substitute the brown sugar for another sweetener?
You absolutely could substitute the sugar for another sweetener, but I have to be honest, I am not sure how the cookies will taste. Some of the sugar substitutes I think are safe to consider are the following,
To be honest, you don’t have to be on a healthy diet or a healthy person to enjoy these Healthy Oatmeal Cookies. Anyone would really like these cookies. I know when something is presented to be “healthy” it can seem like it’s nasty or won’t taste good. However, after wandering through some of my old cookbooks, I came across this cookie recipe that I want to share with all of you. This is a wonderful cookie that is sweet enough to get rid of any sweet tooth you have. They are perfect for kids too! Now when you start looking at the ingredients list, don’t get discouraged. Sure there’s wheat germ and bran flakes but I promise you they are good. Trust me!
Recipe adapted from the cookbook, “A Passion for Baking” by Marcy Goldman
*This blog post contains affiliate links
These “Skinny Girl” Cookies are a great sweet treat option to satisfy any sweet tooth craving while still being healthy. These cookies have no white flour, white sugar, eggs, or butter. They are the perfect Healthy Oatmeal Cookie!
- 1 1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 3/4 c. spelt flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 c. quick oats
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. raisins
- 1/2 c. Sugar reduced Craisins
- 2 c. Bran Flakes cereal
- 1 tbsp. wheat germ (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Chia seeds (optional)
- 1/3 c. pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl or by hand, blend in the brown sugar, water, vanilla, and oil. Fold in the spelt flour, cornstarch, oats, baking soda, salt, allspice, and cinnamon. Fold in the raisins and cereal.
- Take about 2 tbsp worth of cookie dough and place them on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes, place on cooling rack, and enjoy. The cookies may be slightly crisp and chewy on the inside.
- When you make these cookies, they are going to look like a goopy mess and you may notice that don’t’ adhere like a ball of dough. That is okay. Just pack them as tightly as you can in a ball and as they bake they do come together.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, healthy oatmeal cookies, skinny girl cookies, healthy cookies, cookies with no butter, healthy cookies with no flour
The post “Skinny Girl” Cookies appeared first on Brown Sugar Food Blog.