Change the way you eat Mac and Cheese by adding some veggies. This Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar Mac and Cheese include chopped broccoli and shredded carrots in a creamy cheddar cheese sauce.
If it were up to my son, he would not eat anything healthy. Well, maybe he would eat apples, bananas, and oranges because he does enjoy fruit, that’s about it. When it comes to vegetables forget it! I know that is typically for most kids, but still. I have to come up with clever ways for him to eat “healthy”. I sneak in a little flax seed powder in his oatmeal; I still buy him the baby food pouches with, at least, 2 vegetables; and I buy just about anything that does not have high fructose syrup and has servings of fruit and vegetables. So this Mac and Cheese recipe is a perfect way to trick him into eating his veggies.
This Broccoli Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese recipe is made using some pretty basic ingredients such as:
- A frozen bag of broccoli florets
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded carrots
- Whole milk
- Cream cheese
- Elbow macaroni pasta
I bet, some of these ingredients you already have in your home. If not, these ingredients are pretty inexpensive for you to purchase at your local grocer. That isn’t the best part. The best part of this recipe is it takes about 30 minutes to cook! Prepare a simple side salad to go along with your meal and you have a delicious and comforting dinner to serve your family!
When you have a busy 9-5 as I do, you need dinner done fast and in a hurry. This dish will help you accomplish just that. Not only are the ingredients relatively inexpensive and this is a quick and easy dinner dish, but you can also customize this recipe in different ways.
What can I add to this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese dish?
This mac and cheese can serve as a side item just as easily it can as a main dish. But, if you want to add a bit more protein or veggies you absolutely can. Here are some additional ingredients you can add to this recipe:
- Grilled chicken
- Diced bacon
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- Grilled turkey breast
Adding one of these ingredients will definitely make this dish more filling and satisfying.
Add veggies to your Mac and Cheese and have this Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese for dinner. Serve with a delicious side salad and dinner rolls for a complete meal.
- 1 ½ tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ c. Green Onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 ½ tbsp. Flour
- 3 c. flour + ¼ c. whole milk, divided
- 2 . sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 2 c. frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tsp. Seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Ground mustard
- ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
- 2 c. Dry elbow macaroni
- In a large 10 inch round shallow pan on medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- In a large saucepot, fill halfway with water and add about a half tablespoon of salt and cook the elbow macaroni, al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Next, add the green onion and let it cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes and stir. Add the butter and allow to melt. Sprinkle with flour and whisk. Will begin to bubble.
- Add the 3 cups of whole milk and stir. Reduce the heat between low and medium. Once the milk is steaming, add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Add the one cup of sharp shredded cheese and stir until melted. Add the seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, and smoked paprika and stir.
- Add the shredded carrots, broccoli florets, and pasta and fold gently until all ingredients are coated. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese and cover with a lid and allow to simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: panera broccoli mac and cheese, broccoli cheddar mac and cheese, cheddar and broccoli mac and cheese, mac and cheese recipe, mac and cheese, easy mac and cheese, mac and cheese with broccoli
The post Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese appeared first on Brown Sugar Food Blog.