This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Homemade gravy is the glue that brings an entire Thanksgiving meal together. This Quick and Easy Gravy recipe does not need turkey drippings but still packs a lot of flavor with the use of Better Than Bouillon base flavors.
Growing up, I would marvel at my mom when she would make homemade gravy. I couldn’t believe how easy she made something that I love so much look! I would stand next to her in the kitchen by the stove, and watch this woman take a pan of fat, and what looked like burnt pieces, and turn it into a smooth and delicious gravy. I’ve watched her make it so many times that it is easy and second nature to me The best part is this gravy recipe does not require turkey drippings at all.
How to make gravy from scratch
The biggest thing necessary when making gravy is fat, which could be rendered fat from meat drippings, oil, or butter. Although it would be great to use the fat from the turkey or chicken you’ve cooked as your base, it is possible to make a delicious gravy without it. Using Better Than Bouillon flavor basses add flavor to your dishes and give it tastes like it has been cooking all day. Especially with this gravy. I used the turkey base and I promise you, it still tastes like the drippings from the turkey were added to this gravy.
I start off by sweating some finely diced onions and a little garlic. Then, I added some butter (fat) and let that melt, right before I add my flour Once I sprinkle my flour over the pan, I begin to add some water to get the mixture to a smooth texture, although it will still be a bit lumpy from the onions.
Once the water has been added and the mixture is smooth, I add a few teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon turkey base flavor and some additional seasoning and it is perfect and smooth.
I have used Better Than Bouillon in a few dishes on my blog like my Tender Cube Steaks recipe and Vegan Chicken Stock. It is absolutely a pantry necessity and I use it in just about everything I cook. BTB flavor bases add so much flavor to your dishes that you would think it has been on the stove all day. You can use Better Than Bouillon in just about every dish that you are going to prepare for your Thanksgiving meal. Although Thanksgiving is going to look a little different this year, there’s no need to sacrifice flavor in your holiday dishes!
This Quick and Easy Gravy is made without meat and is still smooth and silky with whole lot of flavor!
- 1 ½ tbsp. Olive oil
- ⅓ c. onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 4 c. water
- 3 tsp. Better Than Bouillon
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large shallow saute pan on medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes to allow them to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and allow to melt. Sprinkle the pan with flour and whisk until clumpy. While whisking, pour in water (or stock) to smooth out the lumps as much as possible. The mixture will still be lumpy. Reduce heat to low. Stir until smooth and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. The gravy will continue to thicken.
- Add the Better Than Bouillon turkey base, smoked paprika, and Worcestershire Sauce to the gravy and mix until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer and strain the gravy to remove the onions and lumps leaving a smooth gravy. Pour into a gravy boat and serve.
Place plastic wrap directly over the gravy until ready to serve to avoid skin from developing on top.
Keywords: homemade gravy, easy gravy, gravy recipe, homemade gravy easy, homemade gravy with flour, better than bouillon gravy, homemade gravy without grease, homemade gravy without meat
The post Quick and Easy Gravy appeared first on Brown Sugar Food Blog.